Thursday, November 6, 2014

Week #10 Reflection

One of the major themes I noticed across the 3 chapters was the theme of technology based training and delivery, or the online presence.  Businesses use online training seminars to reach across the real-time communication boundaries.  Online access allows for easier communication with other companies, along with educating workers in a quick, real-time, easy access situation.  P-12 Instructional design requires 21st century access, along with teaching students to use and include technology in everyday instructional design.  University roles require a distance-education department, such as our online classroom, to reach the needs of all students.  Online technology based training and delivery is something that, regardless of your career, is becoming an everyday common occurrence.

The second theme I noticed was the need for constant updating of knowledge.  Educators, regardless of P-12 or University, are required to constantly stay on top of technology.  We are required to be 21st century learners and leaders, which requires us to consistently educate ourselves to the most recent technological advancements.  Business leaders are held to the same standard: either stay on top of technology and how you can use it, or find yourself falling behind in the business world.


One of the concepts I would like to take away from one of the other fields would be carving out time for research.  As an elementary teacher, it’s hard to find time for updating your educational technology fields (you find yourself doing grad school classes at midnight on weekdays when you should be sleeping!).  Finding a balance between everything is something that we all need to master – especially if we want to stay on top of instructional technology and how to use it in the classrooms.

2 comments:

  1. Erica,

    This must be easy for you to do a concept map when you do them all the time. I was at a loss, so as usual, I went to an IT example. This is the one I go though in my head to fix a very slow computer. I like that you use examples.

    I also realized that continuing education or continually updating new information as technology changes and new discoveries are made. Everything evolves, but its your own job to stay on top of everything.

    Research is something we are pretty much required to do at the university level, especially in the IT arena. If I don’t know how to do something, it is my job to figure it out. If I take some time and try to figure it out and cannot, then I goto my coworkers and my boss to see how to do it and I learn how to do it.
    Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, I really enjoy the comment you made about time management being needed in order for research on technology to be implemented. I can appreciate being able to devote time to new technology that can be used to educate students. However, I think that it will be a great idea for the administration to schedule meetings where new technology ideas can be presented for educational usage.

    ReplyDelete